Lamentations of a wannabe writer
In an attempt to get my habit back and return to honing my creativity and craft once again, I conjured a few fun tweets. Rather than post them to Twitter and flood that feed as well as FB, I figured I’d be better off just posting here and adding some additional context around them.
– The words in my head, chaotic mess of phrases, unable to focus. #LamentationsOfAWannabeWriter #MetaHaiku
The sad thing about the lines above: total Haiku failure. the last line is 6 syllables not 5. I guess that points out the complete lack of focus and attention to detail I am lamenting. I had actually posted that one out to Twitter and Facebook too. As an apology, I have re-written it below:
- The words in my head, chaotic mess of phrases, nothing stays focused. #LamentationsOfAWannabeWriter #MetaHaiku
And I’ll continue on with the theme… here’s the rest of the haiku I wrote as an exercise which thankfully won’t make it out to twitter; instead are doomed to a silent death here:
- Disparate ideas, priorities shift away, words lost forever.
- Concrete imagery, abandoned for solace in, bursts of self reference.
- Word smithing punkers, provocative blogging trends, words still escape me.
- Ideas of brilliance, words alone changing cultures, please escape my mind.
- Repetitive pain, in my wrist as well as brain, imprisoned by rote.
- To write is to read, live the life you wish to write, to read is to write.
- No Gonzo twitter, Hunter S. Thompson I’m not, just really bad haiku.
Yeah, really bad haiku indeed, I know. I don’t post it here because I think it is anything more than horrible, but rather because I need to post as a motivation to write. You know… it flexes a muscle, one I’ve ignored for too long. Little by little, the more I flex, the more strength it will gain…. and sooner or later I’ll be back at the top of my game; ready to tackle bigger concepts. Ready to unlock the words, phrases, and ideas currently serving time in my head hoping for a reduced sentence for goo behaviour and released back into the world to grow and become productive members of society once again. Right now, though, they still aren’t playing nice together, and as the warden I’m forced to keep them under lock and key until they fall in line and start making some sense.
(how’s that for following bad haiku with an even worse metaphor? Yikes!)
The good news? I should also have a few new blog posts over on the 3 Drunken Celts website over the next few weeks with tasting notes covering:
- The new Big Bottom Whiskey Portwood finish release compared to the first batch.
- The Bruichladdich 12yr and Hibikki 12yr.
- An update on my Woodinville “Age Your Own” kit now that the distillate has been 16 weeks on oak.
- September’s PDX Whisky tasting event (tomorrow night) with tasting notes on the Auchentoshan 3 Wood, Highland Park 15yr, Douglas Laing double barrel, and the Bowmore 20yr.
And lest I forget, I should also have some good posts here surrounding the WordCampPDX event I will be attending this weekend. This is an ‘unconference’ done in the barcamp style, so there’s no set agenda until we show up Saturday morning and make one. Should be an interesting time to learn more about WordPress, blogging, networking, and general best practices etc. I expect to have a write up on it all sometime next week to bring all the new information and ideas into some sort of cohesive collection of thoughts. Stay tuned 😉