Posts Tagged house

The times, they are a changin.

Posted by on Tuesday, 22 April, 2008

First things first; Jean and I had a great weekend hosting my parents from out of town. They flew in last Thursday afternoon and flew back down to Orange County yesterday evening. They were our first house guests in the new place and as such were our trail-blazing QA testers for the systems. With a few minor hiccups along the way, everything went relatively smoothly and I think they had a very comfortable stay with us. This was especially important since the weather was a bit more chilly than is normal for this time of year, so we were glad to have all the heaters and what not working perfectly.
Some ramblings on the parents’ visit…

Lazy man’s house post

Posted by on Wednesday, 19 December, 2007

We got the keys, have ordered flooring, and begun some minor demolition…
Read all about it here:

Sorry bout the cop out…

A quick house buying update

Posted by on Wednesday, 28 November, 2007

A quick house buying update

Here we sit in the middle of escrow, literally. We are scheduled to close on Dec. 11th, which looked to be in jeopardy of slipping to a later date as of last Friday.

Sitting at lunch Friday afternoon with John, Mary, and Colleen, I received a call I couldn’t let go to voicemail. Our realtor, Doug, was calling with information from the appraiser that the permits for the 1994 renovations on the house were not completed with a final walkthrough and sign off.

This, of course, sent me off into a whirlwind of worry as I attempted to figure out what our options were at this point. Without going into all the issues, suffice to say that getting the permits signed off would cause us to slip the close date (which would cause the seller’s contingency buy of a new place to slip) and would result in a tax increase based on the additional assessed square footage.

Because of the holiday, we had to wait until Monday to get word from the City Planner if indeed the permits hadn’t been completed, or if the information was just missing from the records available to the appraiser. Well, as Doug was verifying this information, the appraiser called back and indicated that he wouldn’t sign off on the appraisal until the permits were completed, which basically took any choice out of our hands.

So an inspector was scheduled to go out to the house and do the final walk-through inspection, which resulted in a few minor caulking issues which the seller will have taken care of before close. But all said and done, and the permits are now signed off without having slipped the close date. Basically, everything concluded in a best case scenario, which of course was the LAST thing we expected as we … (ok only ME)… as I worried about all of the worst case scenarios and how to deal with each case.

As we stand currently, escrow is once again progressing as expected and we have no fear of any permitting issues down the line if we find ourselves in need of selling at some point.

Assuming that we are still taking possession on December 15th, then we are still on a good timeline to get the necessary work completed prior to our move-in, hopefully around the 2nd or 3rd week in January.