I was chatting with some co-workers today about telemarketing calls, which got us on the topic of credit cards, which lead me to review my own card’s rates, features, and other programs. I have realized that I need to cancel the one credit card I still have and get a new one. Currently we are paying $6 month for “membership fees” and the APR is at a WHOPPING 26.99%! Good thing we don’t tend to keep a balance on it.
I think I need the following to make me really happy with continuing to keep a credit card available:
– No annual Fee. Period. I hate the idea of paying for the “privilege” of membership AND paying interest. Tell ya what, I’ll pay an annual fee of $135 if my APR is a fixed non-introductory rate of 0% for the lifetime of the card.
– APR of 11% or less (8.9% preferable) on purchases. I don’t care about cash advances because I never use that feature of my credit cards.
– 5% back on GAS, groceries, and pharmacy purchases. 1% back on all other purchases.
– Fraud protection. I don’t want to be on the hook for stuff I didn’t authorize.
– Extra cards at no additional cost. I want two cards; one for me, and one for Jean.
– Travel Accident Insurance. Really, it is just a good thing to have.
– Auto Rental insurance. I honestly don’t want to keep paying $19.50 for insurance every time I rent a car.
It is time for me to take back control of my finances. No longer am I content to take whatever I can get because my credit was bad. Nope, those days are behind me now. I am now able to start demanding better rates and rewards, better service, and more of my money in my own pocket!
Viva la Revolution!!!!